filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: 2700ppi a limiting factor in sharpness?

Austin wrote:
> What are you using for lenses?  Hopefully primes?  Yes, the lense
> does have a LOT to do with it, as I found out going from Nikon
> primes to Leica/Contax primes...

Nothing in the same league.  If I was using Leica/Contax primes,
I'd probably need 4000ppi to get the best scans - and I could
probably afford the scanner. :)  I have a number of lenses, but
the one which is causing the most frustration from a lack of
sharpness is the Sigma 28-80 AF zoom.  Hence my recent question
about chasing a better lens.  The Pentax 43mm limited is looking
good at the moment - provided I can find the cash.

Obscanning: Moral of the story is don't expect extraordinary scans if the
lenses you're using are very ordinary...

Rob

PS Tony, hopefully my headers won't be screwed up anymore.  The cause is
the default setting in Outlook Express 5.x for "Western ISO" text.  The
setting is hard to find and its significance not obvious.  It's generally
only a problem for digest users.

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.