filmscanners: Beginner Questions

I recently received my SprintScan 4000 and also purchased Vuescan (after a quick comparison with Polacolar). I have a few elementary questions. 1) I had a dense set of negatives that I scanned using Vuescan's default values with the exception of inputting a 3 as a value for the "long exposure time." This gave me a cropped file of around 14 MB, whereas with the default exposure I'm getting cropped files from around 95 - 110 MB. Is my long exposure a short exposure? 2) Why are cropped scans (again, using default values) often larger files than uncropped scans? 3) Does rotating a scan in Photoshop have a destructive effect on the integrity of the scan? I can rotate in Vuescan (at least the cropped version, not sure about the raw scan), but I can't batch the rotations (i.e., vertical & horizontal together). I therefore have opted to rotate in PS when required. An suggestions/answers to these questions will be very much appreciated. Oh, and I'm sure I'll have a few more...

Chris Hargens

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.