Re: filmscanners: Custom ICC printer profiles

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@ampsc.com> wrote:
> Tony Sleep wrote:
> > saturation, contrast). This has worked far, far better than anything
else :
> > prints are now as close to the screen image as is possible within the
> > limits of a different gamut. And it's free.
> And I thought it was a result of my working with older printers (Epson
> Stylus Color Pro, Color Pro XL, and 850) that brought me to these same
> conclusions.

Er.  I wouldn't call the 1200 new.  Even my 1160 is a generation old in
Epson
models.  But before we bag Epson completely, I for one get prints I still
look
at and boggle that it came from a home printer.  Are they perfect?  No, not
by a long shot.  But they're better than I can get in a colour photographic
print
from a lab in terms of highlight and shadow information, I get to choose
pretty
much what I want - and the print is significantly cheaper.  They won't last
as long
as Fuji crystal archive prints, but maybe one day I'll be able to afford a
CIS and
Generations pigmented inks and give the Fuji papers a run for their money.
:)

It's a bit like the arguments comparing $10,000+ drum scanners with $1000
CCD
scanners.  How can you really compare things not in the same league?  It
makes
just as little sense to compare a $500 inkjet printer with a $30,000+
lightjet.
Just as with film scanners I just think we need to figure out what the
limitations are
of a particular device and adjust our expectations accordingly.  I think
I've been
told enough times about the limitations of my LS30. :)

OK, you can flame me now. 8^D

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.