filmscanners: More reports of Minolta Dimage Scan II problems

The message below was sent to both Tony and myself in private mail, due
to the writer only having digest access to this list.

I am publishing it with his permission, as another case of problems with
a recent run of Minolta Dual Dimage Scan II scanners.

Obviously, Minolta has run into a production run problem which is
probably a slew of bad CCD sensors.  The pity is that this scanner has
been well reviewed and those review models were apparently quite
functional. People with earlier models seem to report good results.

I suggest all owners of this scanner take a good look (at minimum) at
the green channel, and report back to Minolta if there is a problem.

Below is Stephan's notice, I will include a short description I reported
a few weeks back with my scanner, for comparison.

Art

Art Entlich wrote:

> I recently had my Minolta Dual II replaced by Minolta, after only owning
> it a week.  The second one has lower "noise" in the shadow areas than
> the first.
>
> The first had a lot of green noise in the dense areas (on slides) which
> I noted lessened quite a bit using Vuescan.  I haven't tested the new
> one with Vuescan yet.
>
> Since I'm discussing this, I'll make a brief comment which concerns me.
> Overall, I like this scanner.  It is both sharper and has better overall
> dynamic range than the HP S-20 I replaced.  However, a few things give
> me pause.  One, the apparent quality control is spotty.  The machines
> appear to vary in terms of the degree of noise they make mechanically
> and optically, and I suspect this has to do with general wide tolerances
> in the manufacturing process.
>
> More important, however, is my first one had many "bad" elements in the
> CCD.  I was unable to determine if this is a matter of physically bad
> CCD elements or dirt in the unit, or defective filters over the CCD, or
> bad calibration or what.  The first unit had between 3 and 5 bad sensors
> per color.
>
> The unit I received which replaced it still has some bad sensors.  This
> time one or two per color, but this is not acceptable, especially "out
> of box".

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.