RE: filmscanners: reply regarding Sony 420 G monitor

Lynn writes ...

> "shAf" wrote:
>
> >with software (Adobe gamma or video card software) you are
> tweaking an 8bit LUT.  ...

> FE, I'm a bit confused about an 8-bit LookUpTable. Is that 8-bits per
> chanel? But how does an 8b LUT compute in a 48-bit scan?

    You are displaying 48bits with the best equivelent if 24bit RGB (what I
am describing as the color LUT).  The "best" equivelent is determined by
Photoshop, but it depends on and uses Windows color LUT.  Windows color LUT
is modified by Adobe Gamma, but after it supplied (and/or modified) by the
display card's video driver software.

    Rob's mentioning the i740 card is a case on point.  I used the same card
while waiting for a Matrox G400 DH.  He's correct, it doesn't work with CMS
... promarily because the i740 driver didn't provide access to the i740's
CLUT (leastwise the software I was using ... there are many versions of the
i740 ... I was using practically the cheapest).  It can be characterized
with Adobe Gamma, but you cannot use it to adjust the display gamma (8bit
CLUT).

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.