RE: filmscanners: Nikon Scan software with Coolscan 4000

I routinely use GEM 2 with NS 3.1 and my LS40 (not 4000).  I cannot discern
a difference in overall brightness between neg scans made this way and those
with GEM 0.

You might like to try de-installing NS 3.1 and then re-installing it.  Make
sure the scanner is off, and unplugged from the USB port on the back of your
PC (paranoia mode!) while you do this.  Re-start Windows after each step, so
that it can clear its throat ready for the next step.

I seem to remember that NS 3.1 asks you to de-install 3.0, before it will
let you progress with its installation.  Since you've got 3.1 installed,
this would imply that you've done nothing wrong so far.

As a matter of interest, you might like to try ROC 1.  This will give you a
slightly "hyper" contrast image that should look at least as bright as you
want.

Here, NS runs stand-alone, routinely, for hours (8+) without crashing.  This
seems to indicate to me that you have some system configuration issue.  You
might like to try moving cards inside their slots, inside your PC.  As long
as you have Plug and Play cards with Windows 98 or later this should be
safe.

I think I've noticed that if I move my Soundblaster Live Value card from
slot 4 to slot 3, NS is quicker starting (and I suspect Vuescan would be,
too).  Right now, this card is in slot 4, and I just need to remember to put
it back in slot 3, to confirm this *theory*.

You *do* have a PC, don't you?  Not a Mac?

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.