Re: filmscanners: Nikon Scan software with Coolscan 4000

Thank you for your remarks and suggestions. Yesterday, I used MA-20 adapter
with the FH-3 film holder and the encountered the problems I described.
Today, to familiarize myself with the accessories, I tried the SA-21 film
adapter. The mechanism worked well and I did not experience the severe
darkening in the image that I saw yesterday. I had to reboot the my computer
and scanner to get everything to work. However, I still cannot save an image
when the software is running outside of Photoshop. One aspect is
interesting, though. When I scanned the negatives in, the one I was working
with was a horizontal image. I rotated the image so I could view it more
easily. When I did this using the Nikon TWAIN driver through Photoshop,
Photoshop responded by saying that I may not be able to save a rotated image
from the scanner- something about degradation of the image or something.
Running the Nikon software outside of Photoshop did not produce this
warning. However, to be cautious, I tried saving the image without the
rotation - still crashed the program.

Well, I wrote the above about 90 minutes ago. In the interim I decided to
try to uninstall everything and reinstall the software. I had to do it
twice. The first time I didn't erase the settings subdirectory in the
Administrator's user's setting subdirectories (I have a Windows 2K PC). The
problems seem to have resolved themselves. I do not get the darkened images
and I am able to store the files. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I appreciate the tips - I guess I should have tried to reinstall everything
prior to posting my email. I just wanted to see if there was anything
obvious I was missing.

thanks again,

Brian
respond to bdplikaytis@bellsouth.net