filmscanners: Supra 400 shadows

I've been having good results using Supra 400 (SS4000, Vuescan, current
7.1.7) except for the noise-like areas in dark parts of the image. At
times I can partially compensate for this by setting the black point but
only at the cost of losing shadow detail that at times is needed for the
image (and often still not really getting an adequately clean shadow
areas). Any suggestions about how best to deal with this problem?

If push comes to shove and I really need to use an image with this
problem can I be more or less confident that a drum scan would solve the
problem?

John M.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.