RE: filmscanners: My replacement 8000 is banding like the first one :-(

> > Given: That the stepper mechanism is accurate, and not just a piece of
> > trash...
> > Then: It would not matter whether the copy is moved or the
> scanning head is
> > moved.
> >

> I don't fully agree. One can design a very precise metal screw or other
> method for moving the CCD head assembly, in an enclosed unit internally
> which could be kept clean and lubricated.
>
> Moving the film via a carrier, which is likely molded plastic, with
> plastic gearing, and also having it need to "mesh' with the motorized
> transport, and being that the carrier is prone to dust and dirt
> attraction and "the elements", makes it much harder to maintain
> integrity of precision movement.

Are you a mechanical engineer?  Both mechanisms, if designed correctly, will
maintain equal precision.  Dust and dirt aren't going to effect the
"integrity of the precision movement" unless there is one hell of a lot of
it on there.  What dust and dirt may do is increase friction in the
mechanism.

The only part of the mechanism for moving the film that is "exposed" is the
carrier it self, and only if designed that way.  It certainly is easy to
clean.  This mechanism will be dry, as opposed to greased, and will not
accumulate debris like grease will.  Also, the mechanism can easily be
designed (as the unmentionable scanner is) such that the carrier is not part
of the mechanics of the transport mechanism.

There have been no complaints, that I am aware of, from SS4k users about
debris buildup on the film carrier, nor about precision of the
mechanism...and it is a 4k PPI scanner.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.