Re: Scanning multiple times (was Re: filmscanners: Vuescan gripes)

S. Matthew Prastein wrote:

>No, I do not scan 16 times, only 3, but at
>highest resolution.

That would be the "high 32" in Mira, or 48-bit in Vuescan. I'm not sure this
buys you much with thin negs, but OTOH every little bit helps (pun not
intended). :-)

>I _think_ I see improvement in noise levels
>then, but I can't convince myself that doing more than 3 scans buys me
>anything.  But Ed Hamrick _seemed_ to be saying in his last
>communication that even three scans is overkill, which seems to
>contradict earlier statements that multiple scans were good stuff at
>highest resolution, but inferior, if only lower resolution was
>needed/desired, to single scans at high resolution combined with
>compaction to lower resolution.

Hmmm. I'd say it depends on the level of "noise." I've done up to 10 in
desperate measures, but it's pretty hard to quantify how much good multiples
beyond 4 scans do--see above. :-)  Variable exposure would be much handier,
but Acer doesn't have it.

One area you can play around with, in either Mira or Vuescan, is the film
types. AFAIK, this is a software "filter" of the raw scan in both programs,
but it "can" give you a better start-point for IP correcting. As you know
(or will soon find out), when Mira outputs a "raw" negative scan, it's
exactly that--in the negative with no film-mask. Reversing it in Photoshop
and applying Auto Levels works pretty well, though. Vuescan outputs the raw
scan in positive.

>On the ScanWit 2740S, using ICE and specifying 3 scans actually
>results in 6 scans, presumably 3 IR + 3 visual.  Also, ICE or not, I
>must set focus to Preview Only; if set to focus on both Preview and
>Scan, I loose registration and the scan data is useless.

That's somthing I haven't run into, but it could happen.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy. Scanning and correcting underexposed negs can
be a PITA, but it *does* build character. ;-)

Best regards--LRA