Re: filmscanners: fogged film

The FAA has a regulation for the US (which is also usually honored in
Canada) that is a traveler requests "hand inspection" of camera and
film, that the carry-on luggage X-Ray security person is supposed to
grant you your request.  That usually does not require opening the
camera back.

Sometime the person will try to ignore you request, but you can always
ask to speak to a supervisor, who usually know the regulation.

Keep in mind that most airport security people who run the X-ray
machines are hired by the airlines, and have minimal training, and since
the salaries aren't great, this is not usually a "career position" and
there is a lot of change over.  I found sometimes the employee is new
and unaware of the FAA ruling.  So be firm.

Most North American X-ray machines will do minimal to no fogging of low
ISO films, but the effect is cumulative, so if the film goes through
numerous machines it will get fogged even if it is a slower film.

Lastly, once again, do not put undeveloped film into checked in luggage
as the new machines they use on checked in luggage can do great damage
to unprocessed film.

Art