Re: filmscanners: Getting started question

I'll combine the slide film recommendation with the out of date film
recommendation.  I was able to purchase about 50 rolls of Kodak 400
Elite Chrome for pennies a roll.  1 year out of date and it's not a
great film to start with, but it has helped me to understand all the
nuances of controlling exposure.  And, since it cost me almost
nothing, I've even had fun cross-processing some of it in C-41
chemistry.

That said, I still stick to negative film for most of my "keeper"
shots due to the forgiving nature of a wide exposure latitude.  It
just takes longer to learn how to scan negs with good consistent
results.

--James Hill

> I'd suggest using slide film for learning. It is less expensive to
process,
> and you can see the actual result, not having to guess what is on
the film,
> as you would with negatives.
>
> I wish I had the discipline to shoot that much for practice's sake.
I could
> certainly use it.
>
> Pat

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.