Re: filmscanners: Which Buggy Software?

"rafeb" <rafeb@channel1.com> wrote:
> I've been making scans in 24-bit color for years, on
> about 3 or 4 different film scanners.  I don't use
> the 48-bit color mode, ever, even on the 8000.

I know I would! :)

> No posterization.  I suspect there's another reason
> for the posterization you're seeing.

Maybe.  I don't remember if I sent the comparison of a scan of a tulip I
looked at when I loaded up Nikonscan 3.1.  The shading between colours in
the Vuescan image of the same frame were *much* better than the result from
Nikonscan.  I can't say how Nikonscan behaves with a scanner that it doesn't
force into 8bit output.  It may be that the 8000 provides Nikonscan with
16bit data up front so it produces a better 8 bit result.  Whatever the
reason, there is a huge improvement with Vuescan over Nikonscan on the LS30.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.