Re: filmscanners: Fast, decent, low res scans

Hello All,

Two weeks ago I e-mailed the list to ask you all about making fast, decent
low res scans.

I went ahead and purchased the Acer Scanwit 2740S.

I spent the first half of this day struggling with SCSI drivers and Acer
scanning software.  I could not get the scanner to work.  Finally, I called
Acer.

It turns out that the SCSI PCI card they include with the scanner only works
on PCs!!!!  I can't use this scanner on my Mac G4 without paying almost $300
additional for a new Mac compatible SCSI card.

I'm really really upset now.  I'm struggling with Acer "Customer Service" on
the telephone.

I believe that Acer should indicate somewhere- on their website, in the
scanner's instruction manuals, anywhere at all, that their PCI SCSI card is
useless in a Mac.  The "Customer Service" woman herself is telling me now
that "it should work!"  This is because even at Acer itself, there is no
indication anywhere, on literature or electronically, that although the
2740S is Mac "compatible," it can't use the Acer SCSI card included with the
scanner.  The retailers don't know this either- but since retail sales
people often don't know much about technical specs anyway, they rely on the
information given to them by the manufacturer- i.e. Acer.

I am very upset, and sorry to share this negative feeling with other human
beings.  If someone has some Zen philosophy to share with me, I would
appreciate it.

Phil
phil@nonstock.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.