From: "Bob Shomler" <bob@shomler.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Nikonscan3.0 and LSIII

> >Compared to Vuescan, scratch removal is much better
>
> Ed made some changes to IR cleaning between Vuescan 6.7.5 and the 7.0
series.  I find many instances of incomplete scratch cleaning from LS-30 in
7.x that are completely removed using 6.7.5.  Still true with 7.0.14.  I
haven't tried Nikonscan 3, since it reportedly does not deliver hi-bit scan
data.

> I get around Vuescan's cleaning deficiency by using 6.7.5, but of course
would prefer to use the current release.  I sent Ed a note a month ago
describing this along with an example.  He replied then that "I'm completely
bogged down with some work right now and can't really look into this for a
few weeks."  So perhaps when he has time to get back to this there may be
some improvements to Vuescan's IR clean function.

> Bob Shomler
> www.shomler.com
>
> -----------------
> >There was some discussion recently about using the new Nikonscan 3.0 with
> >older Nikon scanners. This is my experience with a Coolscan III:-
> >The new interface is much better with more controls and the help is at
last
> >accessable.
> >Scans from negs are improved in that the highlights are not being blown
out
> >as much.
> >As has been said bulk scanning crashes, but I've overcome that by using
> >Twain in "Thumbs Plus" which works very well. Occasional crashes but I
> >assume that's to be expected when using 2 Beta programs in sync
> >Compared to Vuescan, scratch removal is much better, skin tones are
warmer,
> >and healthier looking, colors are more vivid.
> >In all thanks to whoever originally brought this to the list
> >John Bradbury

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.