Re: filmscanners: Lot of newbie questions

MS KB Article Q229085 at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q229/0/85.ASP covers the
issue of a missing DMA check box: and it's solution.  However:

"This issue can occur if a non-ATAPI driver is controlling the drive. For
example, SCSI drives do not have this check box, and drives attached to
third-party IDE controllers requiring a special miniport (such as the
Promise Ultra Wide 66 with the ULTRA66.MPD driver) also do not work."

>From Promise's support site:

"The "DMA checkbox" that you're referring to will not appear for any HDD
connected to the Ultra66. Since the card's sole purpose in life is to
provide you're computer with an ATA/66 interface, the feature is
automatically, and always, enabled. As long as the Ultra66 BIOS detects the
HDD as "Mode 4", the ATA/66 timing will be used."

http://support.promise.com/PCSFAQS/ID_PCS.asp?ID=39

Promise also provides a means to test this.

Maris