Re: filmscanners: OT: copyrights

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:35:31 -0500 (EST)  Lynn Allen (lalle@email.com) wrote:

>  My question, for those of you who *are*
> professional photographers, is whether or not you think I'm wrong for doing
> a watercolor painting from your very good work.

It's technically an actionable breach of copyright, the fact that you've used
paint instead of reprography isn't likely to deflect a court. However, unless
you sell it or publish it (oh damn, you just did), you are not going to get
bothered for it. Damages would usually be limited to the amount of money you
made from it, which if $0, is unlikely to encourage anyone to sue you.

Warhol's Campbell soup series were in the same predicament.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons