Re: filmscanners: PhotoCD format

Graphics Workshop Professional can write the Kodak PhotoCD format, as I
previously posted.

 From the FAQ page on the web site
http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gwsproqa.html

Q: Graphic Workshop Professional can write PCD files. Does this mean it can
create complete Kodak PhotoCDs?

A: Sadly, no. While Kodak has licensed us the technology to create PCD
files – a useful format for high quality imaging – they have thus far
refused to disclose the details of the other bits required to create a
complete Kodak PhotoCD which would be readable by Kodak's set-top players.
They seem to want to keep this facility for their own authoring packages.

Graphic Workshop Professional can create multiple-resolution PCD files
which are effectively identical to those created for a commercial PhotoCD.
If you write these to a CD-ROM using the directory structure of a Photo-CD
– as discussed in the Reference document for Graphic Workshop – you'll have
a pseudo-PhotoCD readable by most PC-based applications, such as Graphic
Workshop Professional itself. We're still working on the rest of the
PhotoCD standard, but at the moment, this is as good as it gets.

  you wrote:
>There are a whole host of imaging programs which can handle or open
>PhotoCD format, including Photoshop. None, that I know can write to
>PhotoCD foramt. If Kodak has released PhotoCD to the public, its news to me.
>
>I think what you are trying to tell me is that I can cut my own Photo CDs.
>Right? Including the Master or Pro PhotoCD?
>
>Go to any graphic program - at least on the Mac side. None offer WRITING
>to the Photo CD format, OR embedding PhotoCD profiles. Check Photoshop,
>for example.
>
>In the example (URL) mentioned, where does it say you can write PhotoCD
>format? I can't download this program. PC only. Try it, and see what happens.

Larry Berman

http://BermanGraphics.com
http://IRDreams.com
http://ImageCompress.com