[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

On Jul 10, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Bob Geoghegan wrote:

> Some 2006 Japan-only figures put the 5D at a low single-digit
> portion of
> DSLRs overall (and DSLRs are only about 5% of digital camera unit
> sales).
> The 1Ds would be a smaller fraction still.

Well, the 1Ds is what, about $7000 retail? And the 5D retails at
$2500 or so? You have to be a pretty avid photographer to drop that
kind of coin on a camera. There are probably a lot of people who'd
jump all over an inexpensive FF camera, if only because the reviews
would marvel at its high ISO performance. The price of manufacturing
the sensors doesn't look like it's going to come down significantly
within the next few years. Until FF sensors are inexpensive enough to
be an option at all price points I don't think we'll see a serious
picture of what the market wants. If Joe Tourist can get an APS
camera for $500 or a FF camera for $600 I tend to imagine he'll buy
the FF camera. I may be wrong, but I think a lot of the people who
have a thousand different really good reasons why they'd never own a
FF camera might change their song if FF cameras were more affordable.

I still like to shoot film. For me it's tough to buy into a camera
system unless I can swap the glass off onto a film camera. Like, Sony
may come out with a FF camera early next year, but my only option for
a film body with that mount would be a Minolta that won't drive SSM
lenses. Nikon may come out with a FF body and they still sell new F6
bodies, so there ya go. And of course you can find a new EOS-1v at a
lot of places, so that's an option. It's actually pretty sad that
we'll probably never see another new 35mm SLR design. Hard to even
absorb that, really.

-Robert Jackson