[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography
  • From: "Berry Ives" <yvesberia@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:23:58 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:24:08 +0100

I think David's points about scaling are correct.  However, I think there is
great potential for the 4/3 format even for those who are skeptical today.
Sensors will very likely continue to improve.  The need for a FF sensor will
be reduced, and the market share for that format will diminish.  There will
simply be no desire, even among the large majority of demanding
professionals, to lug all that heavy gear around.  When that day will
arrive, I wouldn't speculate.  Does anyone know what is the market share of
FF digital among professional photographers working digitally today?

Naturally, there will be some who continue to demand the very highest
resolution with the lowest noise attainable, just as there are still folks
shooting 4x5 (I think larger has almost vanished).  But I'm guessing that
the answer to the question "Is the better quality of FF digital worth the
inconvenience?" will eventually trend towards "no".

For my work, that is already the answer.  :~)

Berry