[filmscanners] RE: film and scanning vs digital photography

Some 2006 Japan-only figures put the 5D at a low single-digit portion of
DSLRs overall (and DSLRs are only about 5% of digital camera unit sales).
The 1Ds would be a smaller fraction still.  This is just from memory, but
together they'd be 2-3% of the DSLR market, 100,000-150,000 units. (and
that's optimistic)

Canon's profile benefits from the high visibility sports market, and for now
the 1D Mk III intro.  I'd be interested to see figures on the pro-level
market, whether by # of users or sales.  This year's total DSLRs have Nikon
doing quite well with the newer D80, D40 & D40x giving them Japan-only lead
over Canon at about 48-38% Jan-April this year.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID38/16799.html#6

World DSLR market in 2006 was 5.2 million units, up 39% over 2005.  Unit
sales were 46% Canon, 33% Nikon then Olympus, Sony and Pentax-Samsung at
5-6% each.  Nikon's growth was a hair under the total, Canon's was 1/4 under
with their lost market share going to Olympus and Pentax-Samsung. I'm not
sure how Sony's doing compared to Konica-Minolta -- some stories portrayed
steady sales after the Sony take-over, others told of a burst then drop off.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1175724860.html

Bob G