From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Arthur Entlich
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 4:55 PM
To: snsok@cox.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: SS 4000 Questions

.

Secondly, I have heard from people who have found it necessary to open
their SS4000 scanners for one reason or another, and they claim that
some of the optical components do get grimy or dusty, and that upon
having them cleaned, the scan quality improved. It strikes me, although
I have never opened my unit up, that since the carrier and film need to
intercept the optical path, that dust can also.  The film has to somehow
go between the light source and the lens, either directly or via some
mirrors, and if those components get dusty, they would degrade the image
quality.

For the time and cost considerations in protecting the scanner when not
in use, (what's a shoebox sell for these days ;-)) it seems like a
worthwhile investment.

Art