[filmscanners] Re: SS 4000 Questions

On 3/12/03 14:55, "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca> wrote:

> david.gordon wrote:
>> Les Berkley wrote on Tue 2 Dec 2003 at 18:51 -0500
>>

>>> Lastly, is there a way to shut the "front door" to keep out dust?
>>
>> Lots of replies to this about using a shoe box etc. However I seem to
>> remember Polaroid being Very Pleased with their anti-dust design work
>> in the SS4000. I've never protected my SS4000 and I assume plenty of
>> dust gets in. But as far as I can see its only dust or dirt on my film
>> that is a problem. I don't think you will ever see dust on the sensor
>> - if that is what people are worried about.
>> --
>> david.gordon

Noise: You might think that the unit is destroying itself, and sometimes it
goes on forever.  At first I simply figured that it would have to go in for
repair (under warranty), it never happened.

Lights: They stay on for unreasonable times - but that doesn't seem to
matter.

Dust:  My unit has lived through a remodeling, excessive amount of dust, but
none that I can detect in the unit.  I think that I need the brush - if the
type of carrier is also determined by an optical system - well, my unit
often seems to lose track of the type of carrier, especially if it is the
negative carrier.  It then reverts to the setup for the transparency
carrier.  The only solution I have found is to turn it off and then restart
it, that works, but it may lose it again.  Curiously, the problem is wo4rse
with Silverfast, than with Insight.  There was a time when I could detect
some banding, but that seems to have resolved itself.  I am still waiting
for an affordable unit that improves on the Polaroid .

Brad