[filmscanners] Re: 24bit vs more

"Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com> writes:

> The last I checked, Vuescan doesn't have a curves tool, although it's high
> on the author's list of things to add. What it does have support for is
> color calibration.

Some of the scanner software has film profiling, and I've done quite a bit
of work with it, unfortunately, that only sort of works.  There are
variables in film development, and exposure that will render profiles only
somewhat useful.  They get you in ballpark, but you still typically have
some work to do.
<<<<<<<<<<<

Of course. One rarely sees a photographer carrying a color temperature meter
and set of color correction filters. And one rarely wants to do that outside
the studio; one wants one's sunrise and sunset landscapes to be warm, and
one's harsh high noon shots to be harsh. But do you scan negative films as
positive and invert and remove the mask by hand? If you are getting a
positive RGB file as a starting point, you are using just as much
"automation" as Vuescan provides.

How does the color calibration in VS work?
<<<<<<<<<<

I don't know. I've only used it as a scanner driver. At the point I was
using it, the reason people used it was that most scanner software did you
too many favors, but Vuescan gave you full manual control over everything
the scanner did.

and well worth the
price of admission for people who want more automated scanning.
<<<<<<<<<

You're still doing cheapshots: it's not pretty.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan