[filmscanners] RE: 24bit vs more

Hi David,

> The last I checked, Vuescan doesn't have a curves tool, although it's high
> on the author's list of things to add. What it does have support for is
> color calibration.

Some of the scanner software has film profiling, and I've done quite a bit
of work with it, unfortunately, that only sort of works.  There are
variables in film development, and exposure that will render profiles only
somewhat useful.  They get you in ballpark, but you still typically have
some work to do.

How does the color calibration in VS work?  To close the calibration loop,
you really need to take a picture of a known target and do so for each
film/development/camera and/or lense (as different lenses render colors
differently) etc., and even then there may be other variables that makes it
not work as well as you might hope...like exposure/development etc.  The
only way to close the loop somewhat is to take a picture of a color target
on each roll...which I did routinely when doing commercial work.

I've color calibrated one of my flatbeds using a color target (and the
scanner software that came with it) and it worked OK.  I'm sure for some
people, they may be perfectly happy with that type of open loop calibration,
and given Viewscan's audience, that, no matter how Ed did it, unless he
really did it wrong...  is probably a great feature, and well worth the
price of admission for people who want more automated scanning.

Regards,

Austin