[filmscanners] Re: Vuescan vs Insight: what is better aboutVuescan ? (was 24 bit vs more)

On 09/16/03 7:24 PM, "snsok@cox.net" <snsok@cox.net> wrote:

> To be fair, I still am using version 7.5.41.  Does the latest 7.6.XX offer
> significantly more features or functionality? I got the last "free" upgrade
> before Ed started charging again.

You can look at the changes history on Ed's website to see what's been
added.  I don't recall if 7.5.41 included color management functions.
Vuescan now recognizes and uses monitor ICC profiles.  If your monitor is
calibrated and profiled, this means that the image displays are about as
accurate as they are in Photoshop.  Current Vuescan also provides functions
for building scanner ICC profiles and film ICC profiles.  You need to obtain
an IT8 calibration target to use these features.  I am still grappling with
the film profiling feature - not sure I understand how to use it
effectively.  But I did the scanner profiling on my LS4000, and it made a
significant improvement in the results I get.  Fuji Velvia slides used to
require a lot of post-scan tweaking in Photoshop to get the colors right.
But when I use a scanner profile (built from an IT8 target on Velvia), the
required adjustments are much smaller, and often unnecessary.

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>