[filmscanners] Re: comments on using NikonScan/PC

I suspect this problem involves how "IR opaque" the dyes are and perhaps
other optical changes that occur in high contrast situations where
possibly there is internal reflection within the film base as a result
of fairly extreme changes in light transmission.  IR is a light source,
and like any light source, it's waveform can be defracted or otherwise
altered when the light passes through a solid (even is "transparent"
object, like plastic film bases and multiple layers which interact with
one another.  Since white light also does some weird things, it would
not surprise me that the IR scan is not 100% accurate.

Further, I wonder how issues like a dirty lens which can cause blurred
edges or halos in high contrast might effect IR scan readings.  Perhaps
the discrepancy is that the IR scan is more easily vulnerable to
deposits within the light/optical path than white light is so it
develops these artifacts even before it is visible in the white light
pathway.

Just a guess...

Art