[filmscanners] Re: comments on using NikonScan/PC

>From Al Bond:
> The loss of detail can be quite subtle and, if the result with ICE
still looks good, it
might not be noticed.  I noticed it when looking at the fine detail of a
jacket zip:
without ICE, the shape of the teeth can be made out but once ICE is
applied the
teeth merge together.  I tried this on both a Minolta Elite (which has
the original
version of ICE) and the Elite II (which has ICE3) and the result was the
same.

I think the loss of fine detail is unacceptable - why go to the expense
of getting
high resolution lenses for your camera and a scanner which can resolve a
good
part of the detail just to have ICE throw some of it away?

Very interesting. I would really like to get to the truth on this, darn
it!  I hope Jack Phipps will comment further on your specific example,
because I want to know ONCE-AND-FOR-ALL whether ICE (as implemented in
the 4000ED) set to "notmal" will or will not degrade an image.

Ed Verkaik