[filmscanners] Re: comments on using NikonScan/PC

Nagaraj, Ramesh wrote:

> I was great fan of ICE but now I avoid it as much as possible beacuse it
>softens the image..
> I do remove artifacts using PS. I feel sharp images are worth the time spent
>on spotting with PS.
> Spotting with PS could be tricky for portaits and is Ok for landscapes.
> Sometimes, I scan low-resolution Jpeg with ICE and without ICE and this helps
>to decide whether to use ICE or not, then I will do full-resolution scan.
>
> In some cases ICE will produce bad effect, here is an example of it.
> Ex: I had a macro shot of bark of the tree, it had verticles lines or
>textures. ICE made the lines of the bark overlap on eachother and
> spoiled texture of the bark. Without ICE, texture of the bark was very clear.

I'm wondering about dICE and what's going on in your example.
Supposedly, dICE no longer softens images now that new hardware
frequencies and software are used (as in the 4000ED).  Also, it
shouldn't create artifacts (I'm speaking of E-6 or process C-41 films)
where there is no dust, dirt, etc. or film base damage, because the IR
is supposed to pass through the base and dyes without changing anything.
  I wonder if your processor is leaving a bit too much silver in the
final film after processing.  In theory, there should be very little to
no residual silver left in the film, but if the processor is either
cheating on replenishment or timing or temperature, your film may indeed
have residual silver causing this problem.

I think the IR channel can be made visible with Vuescan (maybe Nikon
also offers this).  I would take a good look at it.  With the above
mentioned films, the IR image should almost be nonexistent, except for
where there is dust, finger prints, scratches or other surface or film
base defect.  If you are seeing a very distinct image in the IR channel,
either your scanner is not "tuned" to the proper IR frequencies, or your
film has way too much silver still residing in it after processing.

Art