[filmscanners] Re: comments on using NikonScan/PC

>As I understand ICE, it only softens exactly where the dust spot was,
>and not on any other part of the image, so I'd assume the total
>"softening" (if true) is only noticeable when a slide is very dirty or
>has unusually sharp, fine details?

in fact, this is not the case. you can see this even on Applied
Science Fiction's web site of ICE samples.

<http://www.asf.com/gallery/ice/film/imagepages/image13.shtml>

As well, I've noticed that ICE does have a bit of a 'blurring' effect
that helps for CCD noise. On the other hand, VueScan seems to map out
the defects based upon the IR channel generated by the scanner and
only applies its filters to the area where the IR channel indicated
opaque defects.

>  > I use GEM for photos shot in foggy, misty, snow conditions.
>In my recent snow shots, I was getting small red dots, Are these dots
>are film grains?
>I shot that roll with Kodak gold 200.

not likely to be film grains, but CCD noise when scanning the 'white'
(negative = 'dark/dense') areas. I have only used GEM in areas where
there's lots of white, i.e. snow scenes, etc as you noted above.

>  > I do use "Anolog gain" to get the details in the dark area, in cases
>where I have some extra cushion on hightlight side.
>
>Can someone tell me the difference (practical result) between adding
>light to a dark image using analog gain vs the greypoint slider? Does
>analog gain move the whole histogram line to the left rather than
>bending it with endpoints fixed??

analogue gain effectively increases the amount of *physical* exposure
that the CCD records before it sends the data out to be processed.
There is an incredible amount of detail that can be pulled out of
even the most dense or thin negative. I have pulled out a very
useable picture out of a negative that was severely 'flash bleached',
and on the other side, I have managed to bring out acceptable
pictures out of some film that I shot at 800 when in fact it was
rated for 100. <oops!>

The difference then is in the acquisition process.... analogue gain
changes the physical environment in which the scanner
registers/records/converts the data from analogue to digital. There's
a tremendous amount of latitude there in creating new data. Moving
the greypoint slider on the other hand does not create new data, but
modifies existing data. (i.e. bring out shadow details).

Example: clouds on a sunny day, along with a dark shadowed
foreground. With grey point adjustment and all the other sliders,
chances are you can get a balanced image, but chances are also that
in order to make the shadows look 'right', that in doing so you will
'blow out' the whites of the clouds if they aren't already blown out.
Adjust the analogue gain and you can get the fine 'whites' of the
clouds or make the shadows look like day.

Dieder