[filmscanners] Re: comments on using NikonScan/PC

From: "Nagaraj, Ramesh" <Ramesh.Nagaraj@ca.com>
> I was great fan of ICE but now I avoid it as much as possible beacuse
it softens the image..

As I understand ICE, it only softens exactly where the dust spot was,
and not on any other part of the image, so I'd assume the total
"softening" (if true) is only noticeable when a slide is very dirty or
has unusually sharp, fine details?

> I use GEM for photos shot in foggy, misty, snow conditions.
In my recent snow shots, I was getting small red dots, Are these dots
are film grains?
I shot that roll with Kodak gold 200.

Were these dots after GEM?  Sounds weird!  What effect/improvements did
you see using GEM with smooth-tone images like fog/snow?

> I do use "Anolog gain" to get the details in the dark area, in cases
where I have some extra cushion on hightlight side.

Can someone tell me the difference (practical result) between adding
light to a dark image using analog gain vs the greypoint slider? Does
analog gain move the whole histogram line to the left rather than
bending it with endpoints fixed??

> Is "Adobe1998 RGB" & "Nikon Adobe RGB" are same?
If they are same, Can I simply assign "Adobe1998 RGB" to "Nikon Adobe
RGB" image?

My, not necessarily educated guess is... yes.

EdV