[filmscanners] Re: comments on using NikonScan/PC

From: "Dieder Bylsma" <scanners@spacemoo.com>
> analogue gain effectively increases the amount of *physical* exposure
that the CCD records before it sends the data out to be processed.
There is an incredible amount of detail that can be pulled out of
even the most dense or thin negative.

Dieder,

Would you say this applies equally to scanning slides?

> Example: clouds on a sunny day, along with a dark shadowed
foreground. With grey point adjustment and all the other sliders,
chances are you can get a balanced image, but chances are also that
in order to make the shadows look 'right', that in doing so you will
'blow out' the whites of the clouds if they aren't already blown out.
Adjust the analogue gain and you can get the fine 'whites' of the
clouds or make the shadows look like day.

Now here I would have thought the opposite. Let's say the original scan
had little room on the white end... no true whites but close. Wouldn't
increasing Analog Gain quickly push the light levels up to begin burning
out the near-whites?  Using greypoint restricts the brightest pixels and
thus would seem to limit this risk. I'd also think that curves can do
what you say, but without the risk.

Anyone else care to comment?  Which method is better?

Ed Verkaik