[filmscanners] RE: comments on using NikonScan/PC

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: comments on using NikonScan/PC
  • From: "Nagaraj, Ramesh" <Ramesh.Nagaraj@ca.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:27:40 -0500

Ed Verkaik wrote:

>>I use GEM for photos shot in foggy, misty, snow conditions.
>>In my recent snow shots, I was getting small red dots, Are these dots
>>are film grains?
>>I shot that roll with Kodak gold 200.

>Were these dots after GEM?  Sounds weird!  What effect/improvements did
>you see using GEM with smooth-tone images like fog/snow?

These dots were there before GEM. GEM removed all these dots and images became
smooth; along with the
dots went the subtle details too. When I say details, I mean, snow had small
dark patches caused by shade
and some of such deatils were lost.

>Can someone tell me the difference (practical result) between adding
>light to a dark image using analog gain vs the greypoint slider? Does
>analog gain move the whole histogram line to the left rather than
>bending it with endpoints fixed??

I have another doubt related to this,
Does "Anolog Gain" & Brightness setting are same?

Thanks
Ramesh