[filmscanners] Re: digital artifacting

I just took a look at the Kodak dcspro14n camera site.  This uses a
standard Bayer CCD/CMOS design as opposed to the X3 Foveon technology.

The images are impressive, for sure, although I was unable to get the
large tiffs to download, so I looked at the large jpegs.  I saw some
artifacting but that might have been caused by the jpeging process (red
and green color variations in a textured cloth on the model).

However, I would like to point out that this camera has 40% more pixel
locations (if you consider 3 per location on the X3), or over 4X as many
if you count each pixel location as one, and costs 2.5X more than the
Sigma with the X3 chip, so I would hope it would look somewhat better.

I'm not sure what is a fair comparison in terms of pixel resolution,
since these use quite different technologies and methods of counting
pixels, but I know how money is counted, and under $2000 (for the Sigma)
is definitely a lot less than the $4995 (for the Kodak).

Art