[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest forWed 15 Jan, 2003

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest forWed 15 Jan, 2003
  • From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:12:15 -0800

The Photosmart scanner is what it is.  At the time it came out, it was a
good value product, since it broke the price barrier.

If it is of a quality that meets your needs, then it is fine for your
application.

The main things that this scanner has difficulties with are that the
overly complex mechanics tend to wear or jam, and sometimes they cannot
be corrected when they get out of alignment (the top half and bottom
half will get out of synch and they have to interface mechanically).
The CCD quality is such that it tends to band or be noisy in the darker
areas of slides.  In some cases there is an obvious pattern in the scan.
  The resolution is 2400 dpi at the CCD, but the optics and electronics
are such that it is further diminished a fair amount. I found the USB
model (the second version) reduced the banding problems but mine had
problems with the response for the red channel with Kodachromes, and
color fringing.

If you were able to get a unit that works well for you, and it doesn't
get heavy use, it may work well for time to come.

Art