[filmscanners] Re: Newish Digital Tech

Austin Franklin wrote:

> Er, Arthur???
>

>> From the sample images I have seen on the web, the Foveon X3 chip is a
>>tremendous improvement over the artifact ridden and slow to capture
>>bayer pattern CCD for digital camera capture.
>>

> WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I am speaking about the images I have seen, as I stated.  Others may
look at the same images by doing a google search and looking at them.

There is a very long and detailed article at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd9/

The images and comparisons to a CCD camera (a Canon EOS-D60) start with
page 19 of the review and continue for several pages.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd9/page19.asp

(this link may not work, you may have to go to the earlier url and then
use the drop down menu to get to page 19 or above)

> Are you a shill for Foveon?

You are getting close to libel again, Austin.

> Your post sounds like you copied it from their ad copy...

Then perhaps they should consider hiring me.

> Without getting into this too deep right now, the Foveon solves NO problems
> at all, and the issues they bring up with Bayer pattern sensors are either
> long ago solved or simply non-existent.  The fact is, the images from the
> Foveon are no better than images from comparable Bayer pattern imaging
> devices.

My eyes say it solves some, even many, of the CCD problems in color
digital camera use.  I'm not the only one that feels that way.  I think
the concept of the chip is elegant and brilliant in its simplicity of
design, and that the future of image capture will benefit from this
technology being available.

> Yes, the idea is nice, but it has issues, and isn't as panaceic as people
> want it to be.  It, for some reason, is similar to the digital vs film
> debate...lots of misinformation and misunderstanding and simply BS.

Yes, of course, Austin, I "forgot", you always know and understand
everything fully, and the vast majority of the rest of us are simpletons
and idiots who are prey to misinformation and BS.  Thank you so much for
  saving us from our folly.

Art