[filmscanners] Heidelberg Topaz

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Heidelberg Topaz
  • From: "Brock Nanson" <brock@nanson.org>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:32:16 -0800

Hi people,

I have an opportunity to acquire a Heidelberg Topaz scanner sight unseen -
for the cost of shipping and $50US.  The price is certainly right, even if
it needs calibration I would think.  However, the Heidelberg site hides the
tech support information away from those of us without customer numbers!
Anyone here able to answer some questions??

- I have a dual P-III Dell Precision workstation with onboard SCSI and a
port on the back.  Will this connect to the Topaz?
- I run Linux as the main OS, with Win2k in VMWare, so I may be able to run
Mac OS in a virtual machine also if the scanner won't talk to PC's.  I will
need to research the VMWare idea further if it turns out the scanner *won't*
talk to windows or linux.  Anyone know if this is the case?
- I see that the Silverfast site does not support this particular Heidelberg
scanner.  Anyone know of software that will, besides the proprietary
Linocolor?  Is there a Linocolor version for PC?
- The scanner would be used for 4x5 and 35mm transparencies mostly.  This
should be overkill for most printing purposes?

Any comments welcome!

Thanks,

Brock