[filmscanners] Re: Scanner for contact sheets

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Terlecki" <ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk>

Tomek,

How were the negs laid out on the 1680? My one only came with a 35mm holder
which could hold 4 strips so I end up arranging mine by hand on the glass
to get a full roll to fit.  I'm thinking about making my own carrier to
arrange 36-40 frames so they lie perfectly flat on the scanner and I was
wondering if anyone has already gone this route.

--------------------

My Epson 1680 came with 35mm mounted slide, 35mm strip, 120 strip, and 4x5
sheet holders.

I lay my negs flat too, which I think gives better focus than the film
holders, as long as the film is not curled.  I use the mounted 35mm slide
holders, but otherwise lay film directly on the plate. The scanner lid
doesn't hold curled negatives down very well, so unmounted 35mm results have
varied, but results with 4x5 Ektar based negs have been excellent.

Beseler used to sell full sheet negative holders for making contact print
sheets -- clear molded plastic with channels into which the negatives are
slipped.  I had  35mm and 120 versions, but they got broken in a move.
Examining the 35 version it seems no thicker than the Epson transparency
holders, and holds the film closer to the glass plate of the scanner.

 Worth a try, and I'd love to hear if anyone has....mine won't work any more
since the channels are broken, loose, and out of alignment.

ted

---