[filmscanners] Re: CMYK rant

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: CMYK rant
  • From: "Roger Smith" <rsmith@unb.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:06:24 -0300

At 2:28 PM +0100 10/23/02, Tony Sleep wrote:
>Yes, I've come across this, invariably from people who do not have a clue.
>Well, they are the boss, but you'll get the blame and lose the client when
>they fail to listen to protestations that generic CMYK is not a good idea.
>
>OTOH if you insist that they'll have to tell you a bunch of parameters they
>know nothing about for it to work properly, they will likely think you are
>just being difficult and never use you again.
>
>Basically, you are stuffed whatever you do.

        I wrote to Tony (and others) a year or so ago about this very
question. It seems that almost very time I am requested to submit
colour files to a publisher they demand CMYK. Enclosed are typical
instructions from a digital art web site, instructions which are
required by a number of scientific journals. As a scientific
photographer in a university biology department, I have to follow
these guidelines for submission of articles.

Regards,
Roger Smith

http://cjs.cadmus.com/da/index.asp

Color space requirements. All digital art submitted must be bitmap
(Monochrome), grayscale, or CMYK.

Graphics in the RGB color space (or Indexed color) will not separate
correctly. They are very difficult to detect before plating or even
going to press.

It is extremely important to check every scan/file for correct color
format before saving and submitting your work.