[filmscanners] Re: CMYK rant

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:06:24 -0300  Roger Smith (rsmith@unb.ca) wrote:

> Color space requirements. All digital art submitted must be bitmap
> (Monochrome), grayscale, or CMYK.
>
> Graphics in the RGB color space (or Indexed color) will not separate
> correctly. They are very difficult to detect before plating or even
> going to press.

This tells you only that the people upstream either don't have the software
and knowledge to do it, or that the repro depends on an elderly closed
system that can't cope with RGB files. That is, there simply is no way to
hook up a Photoshop box at all, they rely solely on a drumscanner (CMYK) or
CMYK files at the input end.

The latter is quite common among large UK repro houses - Argent & First
Impressions are two I have had problems with in the past. They are so big
that they expect everyone to jump through their hoops, rather than update
their systems. Smaller repro houses have to be more flexible to stay in
business, and this problem now pretty much never occurs with them.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons