[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000

He was talking 400Mb/s USB2, not 12 Mb/s USB1.

USB2 devices and cards are now trickling onto the market, and at least if you
don't have a USB2 card handy you can still connect a USB2 device to any USB1
port, albeit at much reduced speeds.

USB had quite a long gestation as motherboards with USB ports were out long
before stable OS support, which really took until W98SE.

Having said that, I like Firewire too. I've got several very cheap Firewire
devices that plug an IDE drive into a Firewire box, giving very fast external
drives for not very much money.

While Firewire too had to wait until W98SE for the best software support,
Macs had native Firewire support much earlier, which helped to stimulate the
market.