[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000

Firewire may or may not be an improvement--SCSI strikes me as the best
going at present. The increased Dmax would be welcome, if in fact that's a
real-world figure. I've been pleased with the shadow detail I retrieve with
the SS4000, though. I shoot a lot at night (pitch dark, not that
just-after-sunset stuff) and if I use a proper emulsion and expose the
scene intelligently my shadows, as a rule, look good--as shadows go,
always. <g>

Anyway, I was just curious what your take on it was. I own the earlier
version and like this equipment. At least it works as billed (except for
the lamp switch--they still haven't got that right, and yes, I've installed
the firmware update), which is more than you can apparently say for other
scanners out there. So far I've read not one horror story authored by a
Polaroid user.

Tris