[filmscanners] Re: Need SCSI help

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Puffer" <jpuffer@wvc.net>
To: <bill@grimwood.net>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 6:40 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Need SCSI help

At 12:00 AM 3/26/2002 +0000, doogle@doogle.com wrote:
> > I have just purchased a Minolta Dimage Multa Pro and am having problems
> > getting everything working.
> >
> > The SCSI card is installed and according to device manager is operating
> > properly.  I run Win 98.  There is no yellow in device Manager.
> >
> > If I turn the scanner on and turn the computer on the computer locks up
and
> > will not go into windows.
> >
> > If I start the computer and then turn the scanner on when I open the
> Minolta
> > program I get this message  "Error = 4  could not confirm scanner
> > connection.  Please verify scanner connection and SCSI ID #.
> >
> > I cannot get SCSI Select to run.

Definitely a scsi problem. I have the Multi II and had a few similar
problems at first. My suggestion would be to first verify that the scsi
card itself is seen and accepted by Windows. (btw, an upgrade to w2k would
work wonders on most w98 problems though not necessarily this one).
Completely disconnect the scanner and go to Device Manager and check for
correct installation of the scsi card. Is it Adaptec?

I can see that the proper card is installed and it says it is working
properly.  When I press ctrl-A during the boot up process it locks the
computer up so I have not been able to get into scsiSelect.

I plan to purchase a new cable today and try that.

What do I have to do to get into scsiSelect?

Can you then boot
successfully and then ctrl-A into scsiSelect? If so, then check for proper
termination and id of the scanner.

I have set the dip swithes so that the terminator is on.  There are no other
scsi devices.
Are there other scsi devices? Make sure
you haven't assigned the same id to more than one device. Good luck. I stil
favor scsi over ide. It's always been flawless once it's up and running. I
have the Minolta Scan Multi II, an HP tabletop scanner, 2 hard drives, 2
cd's, and a Zip 100 all running from the same Adaptec scsi card.
John

Thanks for your help John.  I will let you know what happens.

Bill