[filmscanners] RE: Scanners that support Digital ICE

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Scanners that support Digital ICE
  • From: "Hemingway, David J" <HEMINGD@polaroid.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:21:52 -0500

Dan,
1. The Polaroid scanners do have dust and scratch removal in Insight
although not quite as effective as current IR technology..
2. Polaroid currently has a new software only patent pending technology for
dust and scratch in Beta test. Results so far have been more than
encouraging.
3. The cool cathode diffuse light source shows considerably less dust than a
led/calumniated light source. You will have less dust showing to clean !
4. The cold cathode/diffuse light source allows the Polaroid scanners to use
lenses with greater depth of field for better focus across the film.
5.  If your film is reasonably clean, manually cleaning with air and an
antistatic brush can be faster than the extra time IR based cleaning takes.
6. Polaroid scanners get the maximum shadow detail in a single pass and do
not need, or more important, require multi-scanning to get the maximum
shadow detail
7. Polaroid scanners do artifact free scanning at its maximum throughput.
8. If your film is reasonably clean and you want to get all the shadow
detail scanning on a  Polaroid scanner can take far less time than on a LED
based scanner.
9. I may be slightly prejudice but I think Polaroid has the best reputation
for supporting their scanners and customers and being pro-active to fixing
quality or functionality issues as they arise.

Thanks
David