[filmscanners] RE: Scanners that support Digital ICE

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Scanners that support Digital ICE
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:49:42 -0600

Hi Dan!
Sorry for the delay, I've been at the WPPI (Wedding and Portrait
Photographers International) conference.  There are many scanners available
with Digital ICE.

The newest scanner to provide Digital ICE is the UMAX PowerLook 270 Plus
Film Scanner

The following scanners offer Digital ICE:
Acer ScanWit 2740S (soon to be called BenQ scanners)
Durst Sigma professional film scanner
Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite
Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite II
Minolta DiMAGE Scan Multi PRO
Nikon Coolscan III
Nikon Super Coolscan® 2000
Nikon Coolscan IV ED
Nikon Super Coolscan® 4000 ED
Nikon Super Coolscan® 8000 ED

In addition the following scanners include the Digital ICE 3 suite of
Digital ICE, Digital ROC and Digital GEM:
Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite II
Nikon Coolscan IV ED
Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED
Nikon Super Coolscan 8000 ED

Also, you can get scans from Digital Mini Labs (DMLs) that include Digital
ICE, they are:
Agfa d-lab.3
Gretag Master Flex D 1008 Digital Minilab
Kodak 1640 and 1640 pro for Digital Minilabs
Noritsu QSS-2901-SM Digital Lab Systems
Noritsu QSS-2802/2801 Digital Lab Systems
Noritsu QSS-2711 Digital Lab Systems
plus some new Noritsu Digital Lab Systems

Finally, look for Digital ICE on flatbed scanners! Microtek will soon
introduce a flatbed scanner with Digital ICE capabilities. Currently the
only way to get Digital ICE on a flatbed scanner is to purchase a kiosk from
Pixel Magic which includes a flatbed scanner with Digital ICE.

I think it is important to mention a bit about how Digital ICE works on film
scanners. Digital ICE uses infrared light to identify surface defects
including film defects, fingerprints, dust, water spots, tape marks,
scratches and other surface imperfections. The magic part come in when the
defects are corrected. Other scanners use infrared and other methods to
identify defects. Most other products "clone" data from around the defect to
correct it. Digital ICE "looks through" the defect to correct it. That is
why when a defect is so severe that it destroys the emulsion, it won't be
corrected completely. But when the light is defused by a defect, it is
amplified to restore the image.

We are working with many scanner manufacturers to include Digital ICE into
their products. Look for new models soon.

I hope this helps. BTW I fell in love with Sammy. He's a great model!

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction