[filmscanners] Re: Scanners that support Digital ICE

From: "michael shaffer" <michael@shaffer.net>

dan writes ...

> Is there a list of scanners that currently support digital ICE?
> I'm torn about the Nikon 8000 ED not being as good of a scanner as
> the SS4000+ or 120, which are purported to be optically superior.
> Where can I get the best of both worlds?

  I beleive the consensus is the Coolscans are optically inferior only
because of "depth-of-focus" issues ... that is, if your films are flat,
there is very little difference.

  Also note, the Polaroids are not capable of IR scanning, so if you need
dust removal, the issue of "optically superior" is almost moot.  You might
consider the Canon FS4000, but its IR scan is accomplished with a 2nd pass,
thus there are registration issues.

  I hope to be corrected, but there doesn't seem to be a "best of both
worlds" alternative yet.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)

I have a lot of Kodachromes, and for that reason alone prefer the Polaroids.
Perhaps the Minolta Multi Pro Dual has the combination of a standard light
source and ICE?

Dave