[filmscanners] Vuescan: batch scanning raw files made by NikonScan.

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Vuescan: batch scanning raw files made by NikonScan.
  • From: "ThomasH" <herthh@attbi.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:11:15 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.periphs.scanners

Hi,

Vuescan's problem was dealing with grain or texture removal, which
might be a problem with LS-4000ED and some materials, especially
the Kodak E200 Pro scans were beyond use. Someone has suggested to
generate a large raw file using NikonScan, as neutral as possible
(Nikon Color Management off, neutral exposure) but in the full
14bit mode and by utilizing GEM and ICE.

This file should be later "scanned" by Vuescan to take advantage
of Vuescan's exposure and the state of the art color rendition.

It works. I made a series of 119Mbytes tiff files and processed
them using Vuescan with size reduction 4 or 5 to obtain fine smooth
images of a customary size and correct colors.

But: I discovered that there is no mean to process files in batch.
Vuescan lacks the ability to select a set of files and to process
them just like it would do it with film frames.

Furthermore, I discovered that there is not much difference between
making a huge raw file and using size reduction factor, versus
generating a smaller *.tiff file using NikonScan and processing it
in Vuescan without size reduction. I am not yet ready to pass a
final judgment about that, though.

In any case on my 333Mhz + 384 Mbyte PC NikonScan needs 14min per
frame, that is 8h38min for the roll of film with 37 frames. The
SA-30 does not eject the film, what means that NikonScan manages
somehow to avoid the ejection and thus I conclude that Ed will
also be able to prevent it. Currently Vuescan 7.5 can not be used
with SA-30 as the adapter ejects the film before finishing a scan
with IR on.

Thomas.