[filmscanners] Re: Startup time for a Minolta Scan Elite

Martin Wiseman wrote:

> I have a Minolta Scan Elite (that's' the original Elite, not the new Elite
> II) which I have had for nearly a year. It gets light use, probably
> averaging no more than a couple of hours per week.
>
> Currently it takes nearly 4 minutes between switching it on and it having
> finished it's calibration and being ready to scan, I'm sure that when it was
> new it took less a minute, i.e. it was ready to go before my PC had finished
> booting up.
>
> Is this normal behaviour for an Elite? How long do other people's take to
> 'warm up'?

Hi Martin,

Before I upgraded to the Elite II, I had the Elite.  In fact, because of CCD
issues
with it, I had it repaired and (as issues still remained) subsequently replaced
under
warrantly so I have had 2 Elites.  With both of them, the warm up period has
always taken this long from new.

>From memory, I think users of the earlier Scan Speed model commented that it
took a similar time to warm up as well.  So yes, I think it's fair to say it's
a normal
period.

I know I did find out the MTBF for the lamp and, from memory, it was either 3000
or 4000 hours.  Either way, if you have only been switching it on when you have
been using it, your usage will much, much lower than this.  I wouldn't worry
about
the lamp failing unless the quality or colour balance of your scans has
deteriorated
in any way.

Al Bond