[filmscanners] Re: Scanning chromogenic

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I'm not Tony, but I have a few suggestions.
>
> Unlike color photo papers, which are sensitive to color filters and film
> base color, etc, you have a LOT more control with inkjet printing.
>
> There are two ways you can get neutral B+W out of your inkjet printer
> from chromogenic films.
>
> 1) Scan it as a black and white film, so that the scanner provides a
> monochromic image to begin with.  When you set up the film scanner
> driver to black and white it should screen out all color and create a
> gray-scale image only.
>
> Even if it doesn't, most image manipulation software like Photoshop,
> allow you to convert an RGB image to Grayscale, which will discard all
> color information from the image.
>
> Once you have a real grayscale image, the next issue is how to print it
> so it comes out grayscale.
>
>    Most inkjet printers allow within the driver to set it to monochrome
> or grayscale, which will make the printer use only black ink.  On some
> printers this will give you a fine image.  My older Epsons do fine with
> only black ink.
>
> If you are unhappy with that result, you can attempt to print a black
> and white result using all the color inks.  On some printers this makes
> a more smooth gradient image, but on some it is more difficult to get a
> neutral image.  SOme printers will tend to make each grayscale step a
> slightly different color, moving to tones of gray with cyan or magenta
> influences.  Playing with color management can sometimes help this, or
> using CMYK output of the file and playing with the CMYK color levels and
> curves within your image software.
>
> If you do a lot of B&W printing, you may wish to convert one inkjet
> printer to quadtone, which uses a special driver and 3-4 different
> densities of black ink to create a well toned image.
>
> If you like sepia tones, you can usually use one of the duo-tone or
> tri-tone settings in your image manipulation programs, which converts
> the image to a toned image, or you can take the monochromic image
> (grayscale) convert it back to RGB and then alter the color balance or
> hue to make it whatever tones you wish.
>
> Lastly, in terms of paper, whatever inkjet papers you use for your color
> prints should work well with B&W images, but if you end up printing with
> the full color inks rather than either quad-tone or just black ink, it
> may become toned just due to the bias in the papers, which tend to throw
> colors off neutral somewhat.  Testing is the only way to know, as each
> paper is different.
>
> Art

Art

Then what happens when an image scanned in colour is desaturated in Photoshop
and printed
with colour inks. Epson do say, as you mentioned also, that by printing in this
manor gives
a smoother gradient.

By keeping the scan colour RGB and desaturating it there is more information
kept than
scanning in grey scale.

Have you tried this?

Rob