[filmscanners] Re: Photoshop (on Mac) bogs, VueScan hoggingprocessor?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Photoshop (on Mac) bogs, VueScan hoggingprocessor?
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:28:21 -0500

On 1/23/02 10:50 PM, G3 <G3@his.com>, wrote:

>       I just opened VueScan 7.4.2 for Mac OS X.  The Unix-based OS
>X has some powerful utilities that allow you to monitor the system.
>One is called Process Viewer that shows the memory and CPU use for
>all open applications and system processes.
>       While scanning either a preview or final scan in VueScanX,
>the CPU usage is about 5-10 %.  However, once the scan is done, CPU
>usage jumps to about 45%, even when it is in the background and at
>idle.  There may be some CPU usage effect for Ed to work on.

I used a similar utility (Peek-a-Boo 1.6) to monitor the CPU usage for
VueScan 7.5b1 running under Mac OS 9.2.2.  I started VueScan and put it
into background without doing anything.  The monitor showed that VueScan
is using about 50-60% of CPU time while idling in background.  Not very
nice (in the unix sense and in common parlance).

Perhaps wxWindows has settings for adjusting the level of CPU activity
when in background.  I hope Ed can look into this.

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>